Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Out in the Woods

A rude cabin which once belonged to the prolific Western novelist Zane Grey has been purchased by the Bureau of Land Management. The retreat on Oregon's Rogue River will remain open to the public. (Details are here.)

It turns out that many of the late author's old digs have been preserved for posterity, including his home in Lackawaxen, PA, which is owned by the National Park Service, and a reconstructed cabin in Payson, AZ. Details on the museums are on the Zane Grey's West Society website.--David E

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The cabin may have been crude, but what did it do to deserve being called rude?

Magers and Quinn Booksellers said...

I am pretty sure I was echoing Thoreau's description of his retreat to a "rude cabin in the woods," but I can't find the exact quotation.

I've never met Grey's cabin. In my defense, I point you to dictionary.com.--David E