Thursday, May 8, 2008

Booksleuth

When I'm at a loss to find a customer's vaguely-remembered book, I suggest they turn to ABE's Booksleuth bulletin boards. It's a forum where you can post a query about a book whose particulars you can't quite remember. Then other readers chime in with their tips and suggestions.

This thread is a good example of Booksleuth working well. From a fairly vague question posted on April 9 ("there was a girl and at least one boy if not two. For some reason they were visiting an old empty house regularly. Searching for something? Grandfather's old house?") to a suggestion later that same day ("I'm thinking it is titled The Riddle of the Lonely House by Augusta Seaman, but I don't have my copy at hand to check.") By April 23 our questioner has purchased a copy of the suggested book, and it is indeed the right one.

If the staff at your local, independent bookstore can't help you, give Booksleuth a try.--David E

No comments: