Tuesday, January 22, 2008

It's the End of the World as We Know It... And I Feel Fine

The program's name sounded unpromising: "Apocalyptic Fiction." I'd braced myself for a discussion of the Left Behind series. But instead To the Best of Our Knowledge served up a fantastic hour of book talk (download it here). They talk to the editor of The Apocalypse Reader. Kevin Brockmeier, author of A Brief History of the Dead, discusses his novel. Lydia Millet talks about her fifth novel, How the Dead Dream. And in the last and best segment, Scott Westerfeld, author of the young adult books Uglies, Pretties, and Specials, tells how his dystopian high-school world of mandatory plastic surgery grew out of a friend's visit to a dentist in LA.

Don't let the title fool you, too. This is a great hour of radio. It's funny and compelling, and will make you glad to be alive... for now.--David E

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the information about 'To the Best of Our Knowledge'. You are right to say that the show is great radio. I have added it to my favorite online audio links list. I also wanted to say how interesting Scott Westerfelds's books seem. I particularly liked how they apparently look at the dangers and often subtly surverting effects of conformity.

By the way, I also wanted to mention how much I liked the design of your bookstore's website. I also fantasize that I will someday be able to make 'book tourist' trips to various parts of the country and your store seems like a good reason to add Minneapolis to my list.

Magers and Quinn Booksellers said...

I'm glad to bring another listener to TTBOOK. We don't get it on Minnesota Public Radio, but I'm hooked on the podcasts.

I agree Scott Westerfeld's books sounded very interesting. I'm not usually fan of fiction--and YA fiction even less--but I might pick one of his books up if I come across it. If you read one of the, please let us know how you like it.--David E