Saturday, October 10, 2009

"I'm gonna read this new book before I hate it."

When Eoin Colfer was tapped to write the sixth book in Douglas Adams' Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy trilogy (yeah, yeah), he faced a lot of criticism from the series' diehard fans. One of them even told Colfer, "I'm gonna read this new book before I hate it."

Rather than try to beat them, he joined them. In today's Guardian, he writes, "So I joined the campaign to stop me writing H2G2 6, and had a fine time weighing in with my opinions on myself and feeding the bloggers hitherto unknown personal tidbits such as: 'Eoin Colfer once spent an entire summer with a Bay City Rollers scarf tied around his wrist.'"

The whole essay is funny and charming. It bodes well for Colfer's addition to the canon. Judge for yourself; And Another Thing... Douglas Adams's Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: Part Six of Three comes out on Tuesday.--David E

PS: Does anyone know how to say Colfer's first name? I've found about three different pronunciations online, and I have no idea which is correct.

No comments: