Wednesday, February 21, 2007

He knew human folly like the back of his hand


Today is the one hundredth anniversary of the birth of WH Auden. He was a noted scholar and critic, but if you're anything like me, you are probably familiar mostly with his poetry. (Here's a good, if slightly worn, biography for those interested in learning more.) So, in honor of the occasion, here's a quick poem.

    Epitaph on a Tyrant

    Perfection, of a kind, was what he was after,
    And the poetry he invented was easy to understand;
    He knew human folly like the back of his hand,
    And was greatly interested in armies and fleets;
    When he laughed, respectable senators burst with laughter,
    And when he cried the little children died in the streets.


I know I'm oldfashioned, but I do like a poem that rhymes.--David E


Update:
The Guardian has posted this MP3 of Ralph Fiennes reading Auden's poem "As I Walked Out One Morning."

No comments: