Saturday, October 25, 2008

For Aaron, Who Gave So Much

Alan Bennett--whose work includes the plays The Madness of King George and The History Boys and the recent novel The Uncommon Reader--has donated his archives to the Bodleian Library in Oxford, England.

According to Reuters, "Bennett said he made a gift of his writings as a way of paying society back for his free education. He was an undergraduate at Exeter College, Oxford University.

"I was fortunate in my time because my education was entirely free," he added.

"None of it cost me or my parents a penny. It's a situation which young people in education today can only dream of and this is wrong. I believe that free education is a right."

He said that by donating his archive to the Bodleian, he would be "rubbing shoulders" with the likes of Thomas Hardy and Philip Larkin. "They might not be all that pleased but I am."--David E

No comments: