Friday, April 25, 2008

A Glimpse Inside the Librarian's Mind


The L.D. Fargo Public Library in Lake Mills, WI, has a blog. On it, they post mostly listings of recent additions to the collection. It's not very gripping stuff, until you start to read the little descriptions of the incoming titles, and you hear a very bored librarian talking. For example:
  • "Killer Heat by Linda Fairstein. Another suspense novel.
  • "Compulsion by Jonathan Kellerman. Suspense again.
  • "Christ the Lord: Road to Cana by Anne Rice. Not a suspense novel. Everyone knows how this turns out."
Or this one:
  • "Practically Perfect by Katie Fforde. Some chick book.
  • "Cheating at Solitaire by Jane Haddam. Some big house covered in snow on the cover."

To the person writing this stuff: I'm a fan, man.--David E

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG that made me laugh. Reminds me of the six word reviews of the music from the South by Southwest festival.

Magers and Quinn Booksellers said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Magers and Quinn Booksellers said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Magers and Quinn Booksellers said...

I hadn't seen those six-word reviews, but trust the folks at The Morning News (home of the annual ) to come through again.

Read the haiku-reviews
here.--David E

Anne Rice said...

Thanks for your kind mention of Christ the Lord, the Road to Cana. And you're right. Everybody knows how it turns out. But that didn't stop me from trying to write a hyper realistic novel about Our Blessed Lord and His journey to that first Great Sign. ---- I'm seeking to write a gripping and meaningful fiction that is entirely in keeping with Matthew, Mark, Luke and John, and I pray your little mention causes people to give the book a chance. This is my vocation now, so forgive me if I sound like a fool for God. I think it's Part of His plan for me. Thanks again, Anne Rice.

Lake Mills Library said...

Good thing Rice didn't see my comments about the first book in the series.